Why are patient referrals important?
Patient referrals are excellent sources of revenue for health systems. Why is it necessary to have referrals flowing into your network? When a practice receives more referrals, it means patients will visit that practice. It has a positive impact on your revenue. When patients regularly visit a practice, the practice always stays active in the healthcare industry. But inbound-heavy referral practices can use technology to take care of their patient referrals.
What are the challenges faced by a referral inbound-heavy practice?
- Multiple referral channels – For the specialist/imaging center who receive referrals face more difficulties than the referring provider. The receive referrals through various channels like fax, email, direct message, website, user-filled forms, etc. It is difficult to track and manage such a high volume of referrals. Varied sources of referral make it difficult to get a comprehensive data about the referrals flowing in. The chances of missing out on a referral are high.
- Time-consuming process – On an average, referral inbound-heavy practices receive 1000 plus referrals every day. Handling all of them manually is a time-consuming process. The practice is aware of how many were processed and how many need immediate attention.
- Limited referral information – Many referrals have less or no information required to process them. It makes it difficult for the referral coordinator to proceed with the diagnosis. It takes a lot of time for a practice to contact the referring provider for information or clarifications.
- Appointment scheduling and patient no-show rates – After receiving the referral, the practice schedules appointments with the patient. In some cases, the patients are not notified clearly about the appointment. When patients do not show up, it is difficult for a practice to track.
How can an Electronic Patient Referral Management help referral-inbound heavy practices?
The current referral management is no way close to the increasing demands of the referral process. It provides no option for communicating between the referring and the receiving ends. Relying on EHR/EMR/RIS for managing referrals makes it a costly affair and does not fulfill the current requirements. Electronic Referral Management has been creating buzz for some time.
Inbound patient referral management challenges can be resolved to improve operational efficiency, reduce inbound patient referral leakage and close the loop of patient referrals. A patient referral management software must have the following benefits,
- Consolidating the referral channels – The system must handle referrals from email, fax, phone, referral slips and direct visits. The software must consolidate referrals from all sources into a single queue from where it can be processed.
- Data security – The software must manage all sensitive patient-related data securely.
- Data Analytics – Complete analytics of the referrals flowing in, processed, missed etc. Patient referral system should give a clear picture of how efficient the practice is in handling inbound referrals.
- Referral history – The history must be common to both the referring physician and receiving specialist/imaging center. The progress of the patient referral from the time of referral initiation and subsequent diagnosis should contain patient diagnostic reports, referral status to ensure there is no missing information.
- Integration with scheduler – This will help in scheduling appointments for the patients. Also, the system should send automated reminders to patients and physicians about the appointments.
- HIPAA Compliant – This will enable secure data exchange of patient sensitive documents.
HealthViewX Patient Referral Management Solution features
- Single Referral Workflow Queue Consolidation – It collects Fax, Phone, Email, Website referrals and manages them in a single interface. This helps in managing them better.
- Timeline View – Both the center and the PCP can view the timeline data of the patient in which the referral history is present. The provider can attach documents at any time for one another’s reference.
- To and fro Communication – At any time of the referral process, the PCP and the center can communicate with the help of the inbuilt secure messaging and voice call applications.
- Patient coordination framework – After finding the receiving provider, the referral coordinator refers the patient. When the receiving provider receives the referral, the provider will get notified of the referral. Even the patient will be notified of the referral. The receiving provider can schedule appointments based on the patient’s comfort. This will cut down patient no-show rates.
- Referral Data Consolidation – It has options for printing the consolidated data about the referrals and the referral history of any patient as a hard copy at any time in pdf/excel.
- Secure Data Management – HealthViewX Patient Referral Management is HIPAA compliant. It manages all patient-related documents securely. It helps in secure exchange of data.
- Referral Analytics – Helps in tracking the number of referrals and gives complete information about the number processed, missed, scheduled etc with the help of a Referral Data-centric Dashboard.
HealthViewX Patient Referral Management solution helps practices in managing their referral network and increasing their revenue. Are you a referral inbound-heavy practice looking to track your inbound referrals very effectively? To know about HealthViewX Patient Referral Management System in detail schedule a demo with our team.