When PCPs send a referral to a specialist, they expect that specialists will let them know when their patients received care. Many times it doesn’t happen as expected. The hospital may be too busy to share information. In other cases, the hospital may have faxed a notification to a patient’s primary care physician (PCP). But, for one reason or another like coordination issues, busy schedule, the physician practice may never have received it.
There are many such problems as the above PCPs deal with every day. Let us read through a few in detail.
- Insurance pre-authorization – The time a PCP invests on the process of insurance pre-authorization is more. Waiting for the insurance to respond is neither good for the PCP, not the patient.
- Finding the right specialist/imaging center – The number of imaging centers and specialist practices is increasing day-by-day. It takes a lot of time and effort for the referral coordinator to narrow down the referral coordinator’s search and find the right one.
- Time Spent – As the referrals are handled manually, a referring coordinator spends about half-an-hour to one-hour for a creating referral on an average and even more time in following up the same.
- No Updates – After a referral is sent, both the referring and the receiving providers get busy. It is not possible for both of them to be updated on the referral progress. So the specialist/imaging center and the patient fail to update the clinic on the progress of the referral. This results in open referral loops.
Manage your patient referrals better with the HealthViewX solution
Fortunately, many PCPs are realizing the need for a better way to process and manage referrals securely. This is when they feel an automated Patient Referral Management System can help.
HealthViewX Patient Referral Management solution enables creating a referral in three simple steps thus providing a successful referral program. After the referral is created, it can be tracked with help of the status. Both the referring and receiving providers will be notified of the appointments, test results, treatment recommendations, etc. HealthViewX can integrate with EMR/EHR and can also coordinate between the referring and the receiving sides. Any referral has a timeline view which is common to both the receiving and the referring providers. In the timeline view, history of the referral can be seen for eg: notes related to the patient’s health, previous status of the referral, etc. Documents attachment and status change can also be done at any time of the referral process. HealthViewX Patient Referral Management solution can always keep you updated on the progress of the referral thus simplifying the referral process and helps in closing the referral loop.
How has HealthViewX added value to PCPs’ patient referral problems?
1) Automating the insurance pre-authorization process
HealthViewX platform has a payer management module that maintains and manages
- different payer details
- their modes of prior authorization
- direct authorization procedures
- payer forms
- online portal links
With this information already present, it provides the referral coordinator the capability to automate
- prior authorization submission
- status checks coupled
- fax integration
It simplifies the process of insurance pre-authorization. The referral coordinator need not waste time on the process anymore.
2) Intelligent Provider Match
Our “Smart Search” feature makes it easy for the referring provider in finding the right provider. It has smart filters and search options that help in narrowing down the specialist based on the requirements.
3) Establishing best practices
After using our HealthViewX Patient Referral Management System, physicians were automatically alerted to
- Referral status
- Patient diagnostic reports
- Referral completion
As a result, we can cut down on miscommunications and bridge the gaps between the specialist and the physician community. The system also assembles a patient encounter record from the EMR/EHR and pushes it directly to the physician.
4) Forming a close-knit of trusted referral receiving centers
Our system helps in strengthening ties with the medical community. From a history referral experiences the PCPs can from a close-knit of referral receiving providers. Physicians can refer now patients to hospitals they can rely on.
HealthViewX Patient Referral Management solution helps the PCPs in handling and managing their referrals. Are you a PCP looking for an end-to-end referral management solution? Schedule a demo with us. Our patient referral management experts will guide you through our HIPAA compliant solution.