Hospitals are crucial in giving care to patients who come to them with various problems. With increasing health problems, the number of patients visiting the hospital is also increasing. As per the survey by Statistics Portal, Community hospital expenses per inpatient stay in the U.S has been increasing. Are hospitals doing enough to manage the increasing number of patients? Many hospitals are still managing their process and workflows manually. So what challenges do they face in handling such huge patient data and process manually?
Let us a scenario based example to understand the challenges better. James is suffering from a headache for the past two days. He thought it would get better if he takes rest but it only became worse. He realized that he was running a high temperature and decided to visit the doctor.
- The patient is trying hard to fix an appointment with the doctor – James had heard about a famous doctor nearby. Nothing was mentioned online about their opening or closing hours or if they were working today or not. Luckily he found the contact details. James calls up the doctor. The line was engaged. It was a holiday so many patients were trying to reach the clinic. He tried for half an hour before his call got connected. By that time most of the appointments were booked for the doctor. James finally got a slot to meet the doctor at 4 pm. This did not go well with James as he was already suffering from a severe headache. He felt that the hospital must have some means of scheduling appointments without any hassle during busy days.
- Patient waiting to visit the doctor – James reached the clinic at 3.30 pm. He thought that his visit would be fine as he had already booked an appointment. He was surprised by the crowd. He found that there were ten more patients before him waiting to visit the doctor. He was not happy with the clinic as he had to wait for one more hour to visit the doctor. Why should he wait even after having booked an appointment? He regrets choosing this clinic as his headache is getting worse. The clinic had nothing interesting like magazines or tv to while away the time. That one hour of waiting was really bad for James. After meeting the doctor, James felt better. He finally came out of the clinic at 5.30pm after getting his medications.
- Patient engagement – The clinic does not collect patient feedback about their visit to their health. James was looking for something like a feedback to make the clinic aware of his concerns. It seemed like they were too busy to hear him out. He went out of clinic thinking to never return to this place.
It is obvious that James is going to tell some other friends and family about his bad experience in this clinic. The chances of patients visiting the clinic after listening to him are less.
The above were the challenges faced by patients. But what challenges prevent the clinic from meeting the patients’ expectations?
- Appointment scheduling – The clinic has an outdated method of fixing appointments over phone calls. There are no systematic methods of collecting patient requests and processing it as appointments. There is an extent to which appointments can be managed manually. When the number exceeds and when managed manually, it leads to patient dissatisfaction and also affects the workflow of the clinic.
- Patient no-show rates – Many patients do not show up for appointments. The reason can be anything. The patient might have forgotten, visited another doctor or might have got better. There is no way of tracking which patients did not show up and why. The patients do not get reminders of the appointments which is an important reason for the increasing no-show rates.
- Remote patient monitoring – There is no chance for the patient to get in touch with the physician in case of an emergency. Physicians are usually busy and are not available to patients for support. Though they are busy, it is good to make them available to the patients. It might be a case of emergency and the doctor’s advice might be crucial in that case.
How can a Software help in solving the challenges in the healthcare industry?
With the above-mentioned challenges, it is not good for a practice to manage its workflow manually. This is when Information Technology can help. Many physicians are skeptical about the cost a software will incur. They are not aware that healthcare software can solve their challenges and thereby reduce manpower. HealthViewX solution has the best features that can easily solve the problems of any practice.
- No change in the current process – The HealthViewX solution can be integrated with EMR/EHR and can write data of referral into any system if required. It is almost zero deviation from the current workflow a practice is using.
- Appointment scheduling and management – The HealthViewX solution has an application for the patients. They can conveniently fix appointments with the doctor depending on the schedule. The application also gives timely reminders to the patient and the physician about the appointment. It reduces patient no-show rates, patient waiting time and patient leakage. It has a positive impact on the workflow and patient’s experience.
- Electronic Care Plans – The solution enables care plan creation. It helps in monitoring patient’s vitals, measurements, etc. If required, it can also be printed and handed over to the patient. This feature is in order to keep the patients engaged and encourage them to stay healthy by adhering to the care plan.
- Audio and Video Calling features – It has an inbuilt audio calling and messaging application which is secure and enables faster communication. In case of an emergency, the patients can easily contact the doctors.
- Patient Reported Data – Patients can record data for all attributes in the care plan. Summary graphs and table data helps the provider in monitoring the patient’s vitals. The patient medical records can be anytime printed in pdf or excel report form.
- Health Device Integration – HealthViewX solution can integrate with any wearable device like Fitbit, Apple watch, etc. Hence the patients need not waste time in logging data in the application if they are already using wearables.
- Report Consolidation – The data regarding the patients’ health attributes can be printed as a report anytime in pdf/excel form.
- HIPAA compliant data security – The solution is HIPAA compliant and offers secure data exchange. It supports almost all formats of files and keeps the patient documents safe.
HealthViewX software solves most of the challenges faced by the practices. It increases the revenue and efficiency reduces manpower. Do you want the solutions HealthViewX offers in detail? Schedule a demo with us.