The Traditional Patient Care Journey is an inherently time and resource inefficient process. Many patients dread clinical visits due to long and uncomfortable wait times. For clinics, this improper use of staff and money results in increased costs and lost revenue. However, a centralized planning system that streamlines the patient workflow could transform the Care Journey. This is where Patient Smart Rooming can emerge as an efficient tool for streamlining the patient journey. Before diving into this innovative solution, it is important to understand the Patient Rooming process.
Before engaging with the patient, it is important for the medical assistant to understand more about them. Medical Assistants can use a pre-visit checklist to prepare for the appointment by learning more about the patient’s medical history. Assistants should review the patients’ current condition, treatment plan, and feedback from past visits. Previous test/screening results should be readily available for the physician to observe. Ensure that any age or condition-specific tests, screenings, and immunizations are up to date.
By preparing for the patient prior to the visits, medical assistants can be proactive about what they may be facing during the rooming process. They better anticipate any patient questions/concerns and prepare accordingly. This also allows them to share any glaring concerns with the patient and physician. A Pre-Visit checklist can also save time by identifying areas of concern before the patient even arrives. After completing this checklist, the assistant can approach the patient and begin the rooming process.
Patient Rooming Tasks
Efficient Patient Rooming requires the medical assistant to perform a variety of tasks. Here are the common steps involved in Patient Rooming:
- Patient Introduction: Greet the patient in the waiting room and lead them to the appointment room. Ensure that you are engaging with the patient in a warm and welcoming fashion.
- Inquire About Appointment Objective: In a kind and compassionate manner, inquire about the patient’s objective of the appointment. Understand why they are there and what they seek to accomplish from the visit. Identify the most high-priority health concerns.
- Update Health Records: Add any new conditions or symptoms to the patient’s health record. Be sure that any recent tests or screenings have been indicated on the record.
- Address Patient Questions: Encourage patients to be open about any concerns they have about their treatment or condition. Inform the physician of any questions that are relevant to the appointment.
- Conduct Patient Screening: Screen the patient using standard protocol to determine any tests or procedures that they will need to undergo. Prepare the patient for any tests that the physician will be performing and if necessary provide them with the appropriate protective gear.
- Briefing The Physician: After collecting all the required details from the patient, be able to summarize this information to the physician. Highlight any glaring issues from the health record or any urgent patient concerns.
The Rooming process ends when the Medical Assistant transfers the responsibility of care to the physician. An efficient exchange of care means minimizing time without compromising on the quality of care.
Characteristics of Patient Smart Rooming
Patient Smart Rooming has risen from the increasing acceptance of Value-Based Care. This shift emphasizes the importance of patient outcomes as opposed to the purely profit-based “fee-for-service” outlook. Patient Smart Rooming can increase the convenience of care and subsequently enhance patient satisfaction.
- Centralized Platform: An all-inclusive software platform that has relevant data at readily available.
- Pre-Visit Checklist: Acts as a guide for what Medical Assistants should cover in the rooming process.
- Access to EMR/EHR: Informs the Assistants about the patient’s existing conditions or previous tests/procedures.
How Patient Smart Rooming Streamlines the Care Journey
Due to the many different steps involved, Patient Rooming is often a long and tedious process for both patients and care providers. HealthViewX’s Patient Smart Rooming software provides clinics the opportunity to digitize the entire care journey. By utilizing a centralized software, care providers can access any important patient information on one platform. This tool also allows clinics to track valuable data like wait/rooming times or availability of assistants. This allows clinics to identify inefficiencies in their practice by tracking every step of the patient journey.
Talk to us to understand more about the advancements in the healthcare industry and we will guide you to achieve our common goal “Quality Care for All” seamlessly.